Housebound For Veterans

Housebound for New Jersey veteransAccording to the 2012 U.S. Census brief, there are more than 12.4 million veterans age 65 and older living in the United States. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is responsible for adjusting the level of benefits that veterans are entitled to receive. In addition, the Department of Veterans Affairs provides a pension service program to elderly veterans known as Housebound. Housebound entitles a veteran to receive additional monetary compensation on a monthly basis.

Housebound is for veterans who are confined to their home due to a permanent disability. The additional monetary compensation is added to the individual’s basic monthly pension payment. A person must be entitled to a basic monthly pension in order to qualify for Housebound. A person must meet the  following criteria:

  • Countable family income below yearly limit set by law;
  • Minimum 90 days of active duty service;
  • Minimum of one day served during wartime; and
  • Not have been dishonorably discharged.

The individual must also be:

  • Age 65 or older; or
  • Totally and permanently disabled; or
  • A patient in a nursing home; or
  • Receiving Social Security Disability insurance; or
  • Receiving Supplemental Security income.

An application for Housebound must be completed, including a report about the individual’s condition and supporting documentation from a licensed physician.  In addition, it may be beneficial to incorporate documentation showing the daily life or activities of the individual.  This may include that he or she requires assistance bathing, cooking, shopping, or being transported to doctor’s visits.

The experienced New Jersey estate planning attorneys at the Law Offices of Hunziker, Jones, & Sweeney help families handle all aspects of trusts and estates. Our New Jersey estate planning lawyers are trusted by their clients to handle each legal matter with diligence and compassion. For more information or to schedule a consultation, contact our New Jersey estate planning law firm at (973) 256-0456.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *